Re: [RFC-next 0/1] Odroid C2: Enable DVFS for cpu

From: Neil Armstrong
Date: Fri Dec 13 2019 - 08:24:33 EST

On 13/12/2019 12:28, Anand Moon wrote:
> Hi Martin
>
> On Fri, 13 Dec 2019 at 01:40, Martin Blumenstingl
> <martin.blumenstingl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Neil,

>>> U-Boot doesn't anything to do with SCPI, SCPI discusses directly with the SCP
>>> processor, and the CPU clock is set to 1,56GHz by the BL2 boot stage before
>>> U-boot starts.
>>>
>>> The only viable solution I see now is to find if we could add a DT OPP table
>>> only for Odroid-C2 dts to bypass the SCPI OPP table.
>> my understanding is that mainline u-boot (with whatever SCP firmware
>> it uses) provides the *correct* OPP table
>
> Right now I am not sure how this OPP table is populated.
> But I saw the same freq table used in 3.16.x kernel after enable the clk.
>
>> in this case it would be "safe" to have SCPI enabled with mainline u-boot
>> @Anand: please correct me if I misunderstood you
>>

> As per my understanding DVFS OPP frequency table for SCPI firmware set
> for 1.536 GHz
> somewhere in BL2 as pointed by Neil.
>
> Arm Trusted firmware added new secure SCPI communication with
> Cortex-M3 co processor.
> [0] https://github.com/ARM-software/arm-trusted-firmware/blob/master/docs/plat/meson-gxbb.rst
> [1] https://github.com/ARM-software/arm-trusted-firmware/blob/master/plat/amlogic/common/aml_scpi.c
>
> ATF generated the *bl1.bin* which is replace the Amlogic's bl1.bin
> while preparing
> the new u-boot *u-boot.gxbb* image.
>
>> my idea to "enable SCPI with mainline u-boot" is to have u-boot update
>> the "status" property of the scpi_clocks node.
>> u-boot does something similar with the mac-address property of the
>> Ethernet controller for example.
>> as result of this users of mainline u-boot would have working CPU
>> DVFS, while users of the old vendor u-boot would run at fixed 1.54GHz.
>>

>> Martin
>
> Right now as per my understanding 1.536 GHz max is bit under clocked.
>
> Some time ago on Odroid Forum tried to over clock the cpu to 2GHz.

This is the point, the Odroid-C2 is *not* stable at 2GHz,
a large amount of board doesn't support 2GHz, this is why Amlogic
dropped the freq > 1.536 GHz for the GXBB family.

But HardKernel still delivers the SCPI table with > 1.536 GHz which breaks
on most of the boards, but doesn't on 3.14 since they have a hack disabling
higher freqs with a cmdline set in boot.ini.

> [3] https://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=139&t=18738
> So more investigation need to done in this line.
>
> I also tried the same with HardKernel Image, with modifying the boot.ini
> I could increase the max DVFS cpu frequency to 1.90 GHz,
> This is just proof of concept.
>
> odroid:~# cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_available_frequencies
> 100000 250000 500000 1000000 1296000 1536000 1656000 1680000 1752000 1896000
>
> I have some minimal stress testing attached are the results for HK
> 3.16.x kernel.
>
> For now we should not enable this clock.
> Until we can possible to check for higher clock frequency to work stable
> on all Amlogic S905X SBC.
>
> I like the Neil's approach to use it's own dts OPP table for SCPI protocol.

The various tests gave very little perf enhancement by going > 1,536 GHz, seriously
it's not worth the pain.

Neil