RE: [EXT] Re: [v1,net-next, 1/2] ethtool: add setting frame preemption of traffic classes

From: Po Liu
Date: Mon Dec 16 2019 - 02:44:31 EST

Hi Andre,

Br,
Po Liu

Sorry, I didn't notice the RFC proposal. Using ethtool set the preemption just thinking about 8021Qbu as standalone. And not limit to the taprio if user won't set 802.1Qbv.

As some feedback also want to set the MAC merge minimal fragment size and get some more information of 802.3br.

> In that initial proposal, Frame Preemption feature is configured via taprio qdisc.
> For example:
>
> $ tc qdisc add dev IFACE parent root handle 100 taprio \
> num_tc 3 \
> map 2 2 1 0 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 \
> queues 1@0 1@1 2@2 \
> preemption 0 1 1 1 \
> base-time 10000000 \
> sched-entry S 01 300000 \
> sched-entry S 02 300000 \
> sched-entry S 04 400000 \
> clockid CLOCK_TAI
>
> It also aligns with the gate control operations Set-And-Hold-MAC and Set-And-
> Release-MAC that can be set via 'sched-entry' (see Table 8.7 from
> 802.1Q-2018 for further details.

I am curious about Set-And-Hold-Mac via 'sched-entry'. Actually, it could be understand as guardband by hardware preemption. MAC should auto calculate the nano seconds before express entry slot start to break to two fragments. Set-And-Hold-MAC should minimal larger than the fragment-size oct times.

> Please share your thoughts on this.

I am good to see there is frame preemption proposal. Each way is ok for me but ethtool is more flexible. I've seen the RFC the code. The hardware offload is in the mainline, but preemption is not yet, I don't know why. Could you post it again?