Re: [BUG] kernel: kcov: a possible sleep-in-atomic-context bug in kcov_ioctl()

From: Jia-Ju Bai
Date: Tue Dec 17 2019 - 08:17:24 EST

On 2019/12/17 21:13, Dmitry Vyukov wrote:
On Tue, Dec 17, 2019 at 2:11 PM Jia-Ju Bai <baijiaju1990@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 2019/12/17 21:02, Dmitry Vyukov wrote:
On Tue, Dec 17, 2019 at 1:56 PM Jia-Ju Bai <baijiaju1990@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
The kernel may sleep while holding a spinlock.
The function call path (from bottom to top) in Linux 4.19 is:

kernel/kcov.c, 237:
vfree in kcov_put
kernel/kcov.c, 413:
kcov_put in kcov_ioctl_locked
kernel/kcov.c, 427:
kcov_ioctl_locked in kcov_ioctl
kernel/kcov.c, 426:
spin_lock in kcov_ioctl

vfree() can sleep at runtime.

I am not sure how to properly fix this possible bug, so I only report it.
A possible way is to replace vfree() with kfree(), and replace related
calls to vmalloc() with kmalloc().

This bug is found by a static analysis tool STCheck written by myself.
Hi Jia-Ju,

Are you sure kcov_ioctl_locked can really release the descriptor? It
happens in the context of ioctl, which means there is an open
reference for the file descriptor. So ioctl should not do vfree I
would assume.
Thanks for the reply :)
I am not sure, because I am not familiar with kcov.
But looking at the code, if the reference count of kcov is 1, vfree()
could be called.
That kcov_put should never call vfree. We still hold reference
associated with the file, which will be released in kcov_close.

Okay, thanks for the explanation :)
My static analysis tool does not know this fact, so it reports the false bug, sorry...

Best wishes,
Jia-Ju Bai