Re: from 5.2->5.3 lets the system run at considerably higher temperatures

From: Christoph Anton Mitterer
Date: Wed Jan 01 2020 - 23:00:30 EST

Hey again.

Just checked with 5.4.6 and the problem as described previously still
exists.

And effectively idle system runs at ~75 ÂC even when just typing some
text or switching some windows.
Only if doing really absolutely nothing for a long time it may (but not
always) go down to ~65 ÂC, which is still 5-10ÂC more than having the
very same system (same software running, etc.) with a 5.2 kernel.

top still shows basically nothing.

I still suspect it could be somehow graphics related:
- when I switch from the desktop environment to the kernel console,
temperatures quickly go to ~60ÂC (which is more close to what's the
case with 5.2)

- When doing some video playback, temperatures just explode (which
they' don't with 5.2, of course they rise there as well).
So when playing a video like mpv --vo=vaapi, CPU goes quickly to 90ÂC
an more (and even when stopping playback, it stays at 80ÂC for
minutes).
Actually, sometimes (but not always) it was much better with --vo=xv.

The CPU is a Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7600U CPU @ 2.80GHz, with HD Graphics
620 (Kaby Lake GT2).

Thanks,
Chris.

Any ideas on what to do or how to somehow debug this?

Cheers,
Chris.