Re: [RFC] tools lib traceevent: How to do library versioning being in the Linux kernel source?

From: Steven Rostedt
Date: Fri Jan 03 2020 - 18:19:27 EST

On Thu, 2 Jan 2020 22:43:34 +0000
Sudip Mukherjee <sudipm.mukherjee@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 2, 2020 at 5:20 PM Steven Rostedt <rostedt@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > First, I hope everyone had a Happy New Year!
>
> Happy New Year to you too.
>

> > Next, Sudip has been working to get the libtraceevent library into
> > Debian. As this has been happening, I've been working at how to get all
> > the projects that use this, to use the library installed on the system
> > if it does exist. I'm hoping that once it's in Debian, the other
> > distros will follow suit.
>
> I have sent you another patch for libtraceevent. And, assuming that
> you will not have any objection to that patch libtraceevent has been
> merged in Debian and is now available in Debian Sid releases. Thanks
> to Ben for all his suggestion and help.
>
> The packages are at:
> https://packages.debian.org/unstable/libtraceevent1
> https://packages.debian.org/unstable/libtraceevent-dev
> https://packages.debian.org/unstable/libtraceevent1-plugin

BTW, while doing some minor fixes, I realized I still have generic
names for "warning", "pr_stat" and "vpr_stat" and thought they should
be changed to "tep_warning", "tep_pr_stat" and "tep_vpr_stat" for
namespace reasons even though they are weak functions. Would this
require a major version change, or perhaps its early enough to get this
in with a minor version change as the libraries are probably not being
used yet?

-- Steve