Re: mtd raw nand denali.c broken for Intel/Altera Cyclone V

From: Marek Vasut
Date: Fri Jan 10 2020 - 12:14:03 EST

On 1/10/20 5:46 PM, Tim Sander wrote:
> Hi Masahiro Yamada

Hi,

> Sorry for the large delay. I have seen the patches at
> https://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-mtd/2019-December/092852.html
> Seem to resolve the question about the spare_area_skip_bytes register.
>
> I have now set the register to 2 which seems to be the right choice on an Intel
> SocFPGA. But still i am out of luck trying to boot 5.4.5-rt3 or 5.5-rc5. I get the
> following messages during bootup booting:
> [ 1.825590] denali-nand-dt ff900000.nand: timeout while waiting for irq 0x1000
> [ 1.832936] denali-nand-dt: probe of ff900000.nand failed with error -5
>
> But the commit c19e31d0a32dd 2017-06-13 22:45:38 predates the 4.19 kernel
> release (Mon Oct 22 07:37:37 2018). So it seems there is not an obvious commit
> which is causing the problem. Looking at the changes it might be that the timing
> calculations in the driver changed which might also lead to a similar error.
>
> I am booting via NFS the bootloader is placed in NOR flash. The corresponding
> nand dts entry is updated to the new format and looks like this:
> nand@ff900000 {
> #address-cells = <0x1>;
> #size-cells = <0x0>;
> compatible = "altr,socfpga-denali-nand";
> reg = <0xff900000 0x100000 0xffb80000 0x10000>;
> reg-names = "nand_data", "denali_reg";
> interrupts = <0x0 0x90 0x4>;
> clocks = <0x2d 0x1e 0x2e>;
> clock-names = "nand", "nand_x", "ecc";
> resets = <0x6 0x24>;
> status = "okay";
> nand@0 {
> reg = <0x0>;
> #address-cells = <0x1>;
> #size-cells = <0x1>;
> partition@0 {
> label = "work";
> reg = <0x0 0x10000000>;
> };
> };
> };
>
> The last kernel i am able to boot is 4.19.10. I have tried booting:
> 5.1.21, 5.2.9, 5.3-rc8, 5.4.5-rt3 and 5.5-rc5. They all failed. Unfortunately the
> range is quite large for bisecting the problem. It also occurred to me that
> all the platforms with Intel Cyclone V in mainline are development boards
> which boot from SD-card not exhibiting this problem on their default boot path.

There are also patches for U-Boot which you need to get this whole thing
working, unless you have reset support for the Denali NAND in mainline
Linux. See

https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/uboot/list/?series=152289

Sadly, all of the efforts thus far crashed on various review pushback.

--
Best regards,
Marek Vasut