Re: Fix built-in early-load Intel microcode alignment

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Mon Jan 13 2020 - 14:44:49 EST

On Mon, Jan 13, 2020 at 7:47 AM Luis Chamberlain <mcgrof@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> So I'd like to determine first if we really need this. Then if so,
> either add a new global config option, and worst comes to worst
> figure out a way to do it per driver. I don't think we'd need it
> per driver.

I really don't think we need to have a config option for some small
alignment. Increasing the alignment unconditionally to 16 bytes won't
hurt anybody.

Now, whether there might be other firmware loaders that need even more
alignment, that might be an interesting question, and if such an
alignment would be _huge_ we might want to worry about actual memory
waste.

But 16-byte alignment for a fw blob? That's nothing.

Linus