Re: Fix built-in early-load Intel microcode alignment

From: Borislav Petkov
Date: Mon Jan 13 2020 - 15:46:22 EST

On Mon, Jan 13, 2020 at 10:30:13PM +0200, Jari Ruusu wrote:
> On 1/13/20, Borislav Petkov <bp@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Btw, just out of curiosity: why are you using built-in microcode and not
> > the initrd method?
>
> Initrd method is better when it is a kernel intended to be booted
> on many different computers. Built-in microcode method kernel is
> tuned for one computer only. It is less hassle that way.

Oh well, you only need to do an initrd which is not that big of a deal.

The built-in method requires you to rebuild the kernel when there's
new microcode but new microcode is a relatively seldom occurrence
in practice. The last two years putting my statistics completely
out-of-whack.

But they should be coming back to normal because there should simply
be no more room for microcode patches anymore in the most x86 CPUs out
there. :)

So if you're building kernels often, it doesn't really matter if you do
initrd or builtin microcode.

--
Regards/Gruss,
Boris.