Re: [tip: core/rcu] rcu: Enable tick for nohz_full CPUs slow to provide expedited QS

From: Borislav Petkov
Date: Sat Jan 25 2020 - 15:25:52 EST

On Sat, Jan 25, 2020 at 11:48:46AM -0800, Paul E. McKenney wrote:
> My guess is "no" because the real-time application would not yet be
> running during boot. On the other hand, if this issue is due not so much
> to boot, but to (say) expensive filesystem operations on large systems,
> that might be a different story.

Possible - that warn happened around a btrfs init-something.

> Except that I would have hard questions to ask of someone doing expensive
> filesystem operations while their deep-sub-millisecond real-time
> application was running. So even then, I doubt that they would care.
>
> Again, if I am wrong about this, this would be an excellent time for
> them to let me know.

I can see the hint there. :-)

> In the meantime, one question... Are you testing for realtime suitability
> on your big box? If so, to what extent?

Nah, just boot-testing tip/master before the merge window opens. Got a
couple of boxes on which I throw tip/master on from time to time and see
what breaks. I have caught a number of issues in past years, so it is a
useful exercise.

> Aside from habitually failing to trim emails, which of these was I
> violating? ;-)

That's my mail signature. In the hope that people see that doc and stop
doing the same annoying things on LKML, it gets pasted in every mail of
mine. I didn't mean you or your mail.

:-)

--
Regards/Gruss,