Re: [Patch v8 1/7] sched/pelt: Add support to track thermal pressure

From: Thara Gopinath
Date: Tue Jan 28 2020 - 08:32:39 EST

On 01/27/2020 04:28 AM, Dietmar Eggemann wrote:
> On 24/01/2020 20:07, Thara Gopinath wrote:
>
> [...]
>>>
>>> I assume your plan is to enable this for Arm and Arm64? Otherwise the
>>> code in 3/7 should also be guarded by this.
>>
>> Yes. I think it should be enabled for arm and arm64. I can submit a
>> patch after this series is accepted to enable it.
>> Nevertheless , I don't understand why is patch 3/7 tied with this.
>> This portion is the averaging of thermal pressure. Patch 3/7 is to store
>> and retrieve the instantaneous value.
>
> 3/7 is the code which overwrites the scheduler default
> arch_cpu_thermal_pressure() [include/linux/sched/topology.h]. I see it
> more of the engine to drive thermal pressure tracking in the scheduler.
>
> So all the code in 3/7 only makes sense if HAVE_SCHED_THERMAL_PRESSURE
> is selected by the arch. IMHO, 3/7 and enabling it for Arm/Arm64 should
> go in together.
Hi Dietmar,
I will have to respectfully disagree here. We explicitly separated out
this stuff (updating and reading of instantaneous thermal pressure)from
scheduler. To me putting all this under HAVE_SCHED_THERMAL_PRESSURE is
equivalent to keeping this stuff in scheduler specific code. But I will
provide a patch enabling the option HAVE_SCHED_THERMAL_PRESSURE in
arm64/defconfig. arm is trickier though as it has a bunch of SoC
defconfigs. I will leave it out for now .

--
Warm Regards
Thara