Re: [RFC v1 0/6] kunit: create a centralized executor to dispatch all KUnit tests

From: Alan Maguire
Date: Wed Jan 29 2020 - 08:07:42 EST

On Tue, 28 Jan 2020, Frank Rowand wrote:

> On 1/28/20 1:19 AM, Brendan Higgins wrote:

> >> I don't have a specific need for this right now. I had not thought about
> >> how the current kunit implementation forces all kunit tests to run at a
> >> specific initcall level before reading this email thread.
> >>
> >> I can see the value of being able to have some tests run at different
> >> initcall levels to verify what functionality is available and working
> >> at different points in the boot sequence.
> >
> > Let's cross that bridge when we get there. It should be fairly easy to
> > add that functionality.
>
> Yes. I just wanted to add the thought to the back of your mind so that
> it does not get precluded by future changes to the kunit architecture.
>

> >> But more important than early initcall levels, I do not want the
> >> framework to prevent using or testing code and data that are marked
> >> as '__init'. So it is important to retain a way to invoke the tests
> >> while __init code and data are available, if there is also a change
> >> to generally invoke the tests later.
> >
> > Definitely. For now that still works as long as you don't build KUnit
> > as a module, but I think Alan's new patches which allow KUnit to be
> > run at runtime via debugfs could cause some difficulty there. Again,
>
> Yes, Alan's patches are part of what triggered me thinking about the
> issues I raised.

As Brendan says, any such tests probably shouldn't be buildable
as modules, but I wonder if we need to add some sort of way
to ensure execution from debugfs is not allowed for such cases?
Even if a test suite is builtin, it can be executed via debugfs
in the patches I sent out, allowing suites to be re-run. Sounds
like we need a way to control that behaviour based on the
desired test suite execution environment.

Say, for example, the "struct kunit_suite" definitions associated
with the tests was marked as __initdata; are there any handy macros to
identify it as being in the __init section? If so, we could simply
avoid adding a "run" file to the debugfs representation for such
suites. Failing that, perhaps we need some sort of flags field
in "struct kunit_suite" to specify execution environment constraints?

Thanks!

Alan