Re: Redpine RS9116 M.2 module with NetworkManager

From: Dan Williams
Date: Thu Jan 30 2020 - 13:54:45 EST

On Thu, 2020-01-30 at 10:18 -0800, Angus Ainslie wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying the get a Redpine RS9116 module working with
> networkmanager.
> I've tried this on 5.3, 5.5 and next-20200128. I'm using the Redpine
> 1.5
> "rs9116_wlan_bt_classic.rps" firmware.
>
> If I configure the interface using iw, wpa_supplicant and dhclient
> all
> works as expected.
>
> If I try to configure the interface using nmtui most of the time no
> APs
> show up to associate to. "iw dev wlan0 list" shows all of the APs in
> the
> vicinity.
>
> If I do manage to get an AP to show when I try to "Activate a
> connection" I get the error below
>
> Could not activate connection:
> Activation failed: No reason given
>
> I suspect this is a driver bug rather than a NM bug as I saw similar
> issues with an earlier Redpine proprietary driver that was fixed by
> updating that driver. What rsi_dbg zone will help debug this ?

NM just uses wpa_supplicant underneath, so if you can get supplicant
debug logs showing the failure, that would help. But perhaps the driver
has a problem with scan MAC randomization that NM can be configured to
do by default; that's been an issue with proprietary and out-of-tree
drivers in the past. Just a thought.

https://blog.muench-johannes.de/networkmanager-disable-mac-randomization-314

Dan