Re: pcie: xilinx: kernel hang - ISR readl()

From: Bjorn Helgaas
Date: Thu Jan 30 2020 - 14:00:46 EST

On Thu, Jan 30, 2020 at 09:37:48PM +0530, Muni Sekhar wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 9, 2020 at 10:05 AM Bjorn Helgaas <helgaas@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Thank you very much for your reply.
> > > Where can I find the details about what is protocol for reading the
> > > âmemory mapped IOâ? Can you point me to any useful links..
> > > I tried locate the exact point of the kernel code where CPU waits for
> > > read instruction as given below.
> > > readl() -> __raw_readl() -> return *(const volatile u32 __force *)add
> > > Do I need to check for the assembly instructions, here?
> >
> > The C pointer dereference, e.g., "*address", will be some sort of a
> > "load" instruction in assembly. The CPU wait isn't explicit; it's
> > just that when you load a value, the CPU waits for the value.

> > > Is there a way to know this with the help of software debugging(either
> > > enabling dynamic debugging or adding new debug prints)? Can you please
> > > point some tools\hw needed to find this?
> >
> > You could learn this either via a PCIe analyzer (expensive piece of
> > hardware) or possibly some logic in the FPGA that would log PCIe
> > transactions in a buffer and make them accessible via some other
> > interface (you mentioned it had parallel and other interfaces).

> > > What is timeout here? I mean how long CPU waits for completion? Since
> > > this code runs from interrupt context, does it causes the system to
> > > freeze if timeout is more?
> >
> > The Root Port should have a Completion Timeout. This is required by
> > the PCIe spec. The *reporting* of the timeout is somewhat
> > implementation-specific since the reporting is outside the PCIe
> > domain. I don't know the duration of the timeout, but it certainly
> > shouldn't be long enough to look like a "system freeze".
> Does kernel writes to PCIe configuration space register âDevice
> Control 2 Registerâ (Offset 0x28)? When I tried to read this register,
> I noticed bit 4 is set (which disables completion timeouts) and rest
> all other bits are zero. So, Completion Timeout detection mechanism is
> disabled, right? If so what could be the reason for this?

To my knowledge Linux doesn't set PCI_EXP_DEVCTL2_COMP_TMOUT_DIS
except for one powerpc case. You can check yourself by using cscope
or grep to look for PCI_EXP_DEVCTL2_COMP_TMOUT_DIS or PCI_EXP_DEVCTL2.

If you're seeing bit 4 (PCI_EXP_DEVCTL2_COMP_TMOUT_DIS) set, it's
likely because firmware set it. You can try booting with
"pci=earlydump" to see what's there before Linux starts changing
things.

Bjorn