Re: [GIT PULL] tracing: Changes for 5.6

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Tue Feb 04 2020 - 08:19:30 EST

On Tue, Feb 4, 2020 at 12:29 PM Steven Rostedt <rostedt@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Would this work?

Yeah, looks workable. At least this wary if you screw up your
bootconfig file somehow (or you have a kernel bug that interacts badly
with a good bootconfig file), you don't need to worry about rewriting
the initrd.

The reason _I_ care is that the initrd creation scripts tend to come
mostly pre-packaged from a distro, and editing the initrd is a big
step.

The one reaction I have is that I wonder if we should just do this the
other way around instead: instead of disabling bootconfig, have a
"enable bootconfig" model instead.

Because it strikes me that the bootconfig should be the special case
(ie "bootconfig does setup for boot-time tracing"), and that you
should explicitly say "I want you to read the extended config" on the
regular kernel command line.

So from looking at this, I do have to say that I'd have a slight
preference for simply making this be an option like
"config=bootconfig" that says "extend cmdline with the data from the
'bootconfig' file".

Would that be horribly painful for your uses?

Linus