Re: 5.4+: PAGE FAULT crashes the system multiple times per 24h

From: Gabriel C
Date: Mon Feb 10 2020 - 12:01:41 EST

Am Mo., 10. Feb. 2020 um 17:25 Uhr schrieb Udo van den Heuvel
<udovdh@xxxxxxxxx>:

> Hello Gabriel,
>
> Thank you kindly for your rmail and teh links inthere, I will most
> certainly look into those.
>
> On 10-02-2020 17:04, Gabriel C wrote:
> > I think first you should try to fix your amdgpu bug which is this one:
> > https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm/amd/issues/963
> >
> > And the fixes are the patchset there:
> > https://patchwork.freedesktop.org/series/72733/
>
> Thanks, will try those on 5.5.2.
>
> > Also, can you try booting without all these crazy options?
>
> What is crazy here?
> Each one has a story.

Sure, I'm not saying to not use these.

But try to boot a kernel with only what you need to boot when hunting bugs.
As an example, if such a kernel works then you know for sure one of
the option or a combination causes bugs.

> > As an example why would you need to force ACPI on your HW?
>
> Force?
> Because then I can be certain it will be there, this has been there for
> quite a while.
> Or would you suggest I run my x86_64 without acpi? (I am not an expert
> in this area yet)

The force parameter is used to try to enable ACPI on HW has is OFF by
default, you don't need that.

> rd.luks.options=discard
>
> We want to use discard on our ssd's.

Use mount options?

> elevator=mq-deadline
>We want a different scheduler for ssd versus hdd.

If you really want that you should use udev rules for SSD/NVME/HDD/USB etc.

BR,

Gabriel C.