Re: [RFC 0/3] tools/memory-model: Add litmus tests for atomic APIs

From: Boqun Feng
Date: Sun Feb 16 2020 - 20:27:49 EST

On Sun, Feb 16, 2020 at 11:16:50AM -0500, Alan Stern wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Feb 2020, Paul E. McKenney wrote:

> > > So how about I put those atomic API tests into a separate directory, say
> > > Documentation/atomic/ ?
> > >
> > > The problem I want to solve here is that people (usually who implements
> > > the atomic APIs for new archs) may want some examples, which can help
> > > them understand the API requirements and test the implementation. And
> > > litmus tests are the perfect tool here (given that them can be
> > > translated to test modules with klitmus). And I personally really think
> > > this is something the LKMM group should maintain, that's why I put them
> > > in the tools/memory-model/litmus-tests/. But I'm OK if we end up
> > > deciding those should be put outside that directory.
> >
> > Good point!
> >
> > However, we should dicuss this with the proposed beneficiaries, namely
> > the architecture maintainers. Do they want it? If so, where would
> > they like it to be? How should it be organized?

Paul,

Well, I was simply motivated by the discuss on microblaze's atomic
implementation (which I pasted the link in this cover letter):

https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/20200213085849.GL14897@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/

, please see the last paragraph, Michal asking Peter for some tests. So
I think there is at least some one wanting this ;-)

> > In the meantime, I am more than happy to accept litmus tests into the
> > github archive.

Thanks ;-)

> > So how would you like to proceed?

I think we are still at the discussion stage, so I'm happy to see
suggestions on where to put the litmus tests and which litmus tests
should be included.

> I think it makes sense to put Boqun's tests under Documentation/ rather
> than tools/. After all, their point is to document the memory model's
> requirements for operations on atomic_t's. They aren't meant to be
> examples or demos showing how to use herd or write litmus tests.

Alan,

Got it. I will create the Documentation/atomic directory and put the
litmus tests there in the next version.

Thank you both!

Regards,
Boqun