RE: [RFC v2 0/4] Introduce i3c device userspace interface

From: Vitor Soares
Date: Mon Feb 17 2020 - 10:33:03 EST

Hi Boris,

From: Boris Brezillon <boris.brezillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, Feb 17, 2020 at 14:51:41

> Hello Vitor,
>
> Sorry for taking so long to reply, and thanks for working on that topic.
>
> On Wed, 29 Jan 2020 13:17:31 +0100
> Vitor Soares <Vitor.Soares@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > For today there is no way to use i3c devices from user space and
> > the introduction of such API will help developers during the i3c device
> > or i3c host controllers development.
> >
> > The i3cdev module is highly based on i2c-dev and yet I tried to address
> > the concerns raised in [1].
> >
> > NOTES:
> > - The i3cdev dynamically request an unused major number.
> >
> > - The i3c devices are dynamically exposed/removed from dev/ folder based
> > on if they have a device driver bound to it.
>
> May I ask why you need to automatically bind devices to the i3cdev
> driver when they don't have a driver matching the device id
> loaded/compiled-in? If we get the i3c subsystem to generate proper
> uevents we should be able to load the i3cdev module and bind the device
> to this driver using a udev rule.

My idea was to expose every device to user-space by default so we can
test them without a driver (more or less the i2c use case) but as we
agreed during the i3c subsystem only expose devices that doesn't have
device driver.
I considered to have a uevent but to expose the devices by default it
would required something generic, what I didn't figure out and tend to
follow the i2c-dev module.

With this current approach even if a device has a driver we can unbind it
through the Sysfs and have access from user space which I found useful
for debug.