RE: Kernel 5.5.4 build fail for BPF-selftests with latest LLVM

From: Bird, Tim
Date: Thu Feb 20 2020 - 12:41:56 EST

Alexei,

Thank you very much for this explanation. It is very helpful. I apologize for my
ignorance of this, but can I ask a few questions just to check my understanding?
Please forgive me if I use the wrong terminology below.

So - do the BPF developers add new instructions to the virtual machine, that then
have to be added to both the compiler and the executor (VM implementation)?
It sounds like the compiler support and executor support is done in concert, and
that patches are at least accepted upstream (but possibly are not yet available in
a compiler release) for the compiler side. What about the Linux kernel side? Is the
support for a new instruction only in non-released kernels (say, in the BPF development
tree), or could it potentially be included in a released kernel, before the compiler
with matching support is released? What would happen if a bug was found, and
compiler support for the instruction was delayed? I suppose that this would only
mean that the executor supported an instruction that never appeared in a compiled
BPF program? Is that right?

Thanks,
-- Tim