net/kgdb: Taking another crack at implementing kgdboe

From: Jordan Hand
Date: Fri Feb 21 2020 - 19:33:51 EST

Hey folks,

I have been scouring patches from around 2005-2008 related to kgdboe
(kgdb over ethernet) and I am interested in taking a shot at getting it
into the mainline kernel.

I found an implementation from Tom Rini in 2005[1] and an out of tree
implementation[2].

So I have a couple questions before I dive in:

1. Is anyone actively working on this? From lkml archives it appears no
but I thought I'd ask.
2. Does anyone have an objection to this feature? From my reading it
seems that the reason it was never merged was due to reliability issues
but I just want to double check that people don't see some larger issue.

I don't have 100% of my time to devote to this so it will likely take me
a while but this is something I would like to see in the upstream kernel
so I thought I'd give it a try.

[1] https://lkml.org/lkml/2005/7/29/321
[2] https://github.com/sysprogs/kgdboe