LKRG: "there won't be a grsecurity alike situation where everything gets closed down". (Linux Kernel Runtime Guard)

From: whywontyousue
Date: Mon Feb 24 2020 - 03:00:09 EST

"there won't be a grsecurity alike situation where everything gets closed down".

(from: www whonix org/wiki/Linux_Kernel_Runtime_Guard_LKRG )

First of all, linux copyright holder: why don't you sue Grsecurity. They are violating your copyright license. They proffer additional terms and enforce additional restrictions. That's both a violation of section 4 and section 6 of GPL v2.

Now onto this Linux Kernel Runtime Guard:

LKRG performs runtime integrity checking of the Linux kernel and detection of security vulnerability exploits against the kernel.

As controversial as this concept is, LKRG attempts to post-detect and hopefully promptly respond to unauthorized modifications to the running Linux kernel (integrity checking) or to credentials such as user IDs of the running processes (exploit detection). For process credentials, LKRG attempts to detect the exploit and take action before the kernel would grant access (such as open a file) based on the unauthorized credentials.

LKRG defeats many pre-existing exploits of Linux kernel vulnerabilities, and will likely defeat many future exploits (including of yet unknown vulnerabilities) that do not specifically attempt to bypass LKRG. While LKRG is bypassable by design, such bypasses tend to require more complicated and/or less reliable exploits.

Allright, so it interferes with the running kernel, your copyrighted work.

Thus, if we imagine a court would use the same analysis as in Universal City Studios Inc v Reimerdes, whatever this is has to abide your copyright, just as the app in that case could not modify the running RealPlayer without the permission of the copyright owners of RealPlayer.

We will likely use GPLv2 at least for LKRG free. We might or might not use a different license for LKRG Pro, if we ever make it.

You don't have a choice in this matter. If RealPlayer cannot be modified when running except as directed by it's copyright owners, by another entity's program; neither can Linux kernel. You have to obey the copyright owners permissions here.

Now: will the linux copyright owners ever sue you if you ignore their terms? Lol, comon, let's be reasonable. They fall into two camps 1) scared little wageslaves, and 2) some corporations that feel the GPL is too restrictive.

Nothing to worry about: the wageslaves have shown themselves to be worthless people with no fight in them.