Re: Regression in 5.4 kernel on 32-bit Radeon IBM T40

From: Thomas Schwinge
Date: Sat Mar 14 2020 - 21:36:10 EST

-----------------
Mentor Graphics (Deutschland) GmbH, Arnulfstraße 201, 80634 München / Germany
Registergericht München HRB 106955, Geschäftsführer: Thomas Heurung, Alexander Walter
--- Begin Message --- Hi!

Has any progress been made regarding the issue reported here?

Having updated the software (here: Linux kernel), I'm running into the
same issue on my venerable ;-) Thinkpad T42 with:

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] RV200/M7 [Mobility Radeon 7500]

I lack knowledge of the specific graphics hardware/memory interface as
well as Linux kernel graphics/memory stack at that level, but I'll be
happy to try any suggestions, or test patches etc.

On 2020-01-09T21:40:50-0500, Woody Suwalski <terraluna977@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Woody Suwalski wrote:
>> Christian KÃnig wrote:

>>> Assuming the system doesn't have the 1GB split up somehow crazy over
>>> the address space that should indeed work as intended.

I'm confirming that hack "resolves" the issue.

>>> The only other thing which comes to mind is using huge pages. Can you
>>> try a kernel with CONFIG_TRANSPARENT_HUGEPAGE disabled?
>>
>> Yes, the box has 1G of RAM, and unfortunately nope,
>> TRANSPARENT_HUGEPAGE is not on. I am attaching the .config, maybe you
>> can find some insanity there... Also - for reference - a minimalistic
>> patch fixing symptoms (but not addressing the root cause :-( )
>>
>> I can try to rebuild the kernel with HIGHMEM off, although I am not
>> optimistic it will change anything. But at least it should simplify
>> the 1G split...
>>
>> So if you have any other ideas - pls let me know..
>>
> Interesting. Rebuilding the kernel with HIMEM disabled actually solves
> the display problem. The debug lines show exactly same values for
> dma_get_required_mask() and dma_get_mask(), yet now it works OK... So
> what has solved it???

That I have not yet tried.

GrÃÃe
Thomas