Re: [RFC v3 1/2] kernel/sysctl: support setting sysctl parameters from kernel command line

From: Kees Cook
Date: Thu Mar 26 2020 - 23:50:52 EST

On Thu, Mar 26, 2020 at 11:08:40PM +0100, Vlastimil Babka wrote:
> On 3/26/20 9:24 PM, Kees Cook wrote:
> I didn't want to modify param for the sake of error prints, but perhaps
> the replacements won't confuse system admin too much?

Ah, fair enough. Should be fine to do it against "path" then. Ignore
that bit from me. ;)

> >> + filp_close(file, NULL);
> >
> > Please check the return value of filp_close() and treat that as an error
> > for this function too.
>
> Well I could print it, but not much else? The unmount will probably fail
> in that case?

Maybe? This is just a nit of mine from tracking horrible bugs that
turned out to be unreported 'close' failures. :)

> But I guess the "mount on first applicable argument" approach would work
> with this scheme as well:
>
> struct vfsmount *proc_mnt = NULL;
> parse_args(..., &proc_mnt, ...)

Yes please! That would be perfect. (And yeah, it's a sensible
optimization to do it "as needed"; I hadn't thought of that.)

--
Kees Cook