Re: [RFC for Linux] virtio_balloon: Add VIRTIO_BALLOON_F_THP_ORDER to handle THP spilt issue

From: David Hildenbrand
Date: Tue Mar 31 2020 - 10:35:04 EST

On 31.03.20 16:29, David Hildenbrand wrote:

>> ..
>>
>>> I expect the whole "steal huge pages from your guest" to be problematic,
>>> as I already mentioned to Alex. This needs a performance evaluation.
>>>
>>> This all smells like a lot of workload dependent fine-tuning. :)
>>

>> So that's why I proposed the API above.
>>
>> The idea is that *if we are allocating a huge page anyway*,
>> rather than break it up let's send it whole to the device.
>> If we have smaller pages, return smaller pages.
>>

> Sorry, I still fail to see why you cannot do that with my version of
> balloon_pages_alloc(). But maybe I haven't understood the magic you
> expect to happen in alloc_page_range() :)
>
> It's just going via a different inflate queue once we have that page, as
> I stated in front of my draft patch "but with an
> optimized reporting interface".
>
>> That seems like it would always be an improvement, whatever the
>> workload.
>>

> Don't think so. Assume there are plenty of 4k pages lying around. It
> might actually be *bad* for guest performance if you take a huge page
> instead of all the leftover 4k pages that cannot be merged. Only at the
> point where you would want to break a bigger page up and report it in
> pieces, where it would definitely make no difference.

I just understood what you mean :) and now it makes sense - it avoids
exactly that. Basically

1. Try to allocate order-0. No split necessary? return the page
2. Try to allocate order-1. No split necessary? return the page

up to MAX_ORDER - 1.

Yeah, I guess this will need a new kernel API.

--
Thanks,

David / dhildenb