Re: [POC RFC 0/3] splice(2) support for io_uring

From: Pavel Begunkov
Date: Mon Apr 06 2020 - 16:02:53 EST

On 06/04/2020 22:09, Askar Safin wrote:
> Hi. Thanks for your splice io_uring patch. Maybe it will be good idea to add uring operation, which will unify splice, sendfile and copy_file_range instead of just IORING_OP_SPLICE?

It doesn't have to follow splice(2) semantics, so can be extended, in theory.

Though I don't see much profit in doing that for now. sendfile(2) is done by
splicing through an internal pipe, and this pipe will complicate things for
io-wq (i.e. io_uring's thread pool). On the other hand, it'd be of the same
performance and even more flexible to send 2 linked splice requests with a
pre-allocated pipe from the userspace.

--
Pavel Begunkov