Re: [GIT PULL] thermal for v5.7-rc1

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Tue Apr 07 2020 - 23:15:06 EST

On Tue, Apr 7, 2020 at 4:26 AM Daniel Lezcano <daniel.lezcano@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/thermal/linux.git
> tags/thermal-v5.7-rc1

Ho humm.

This caused a conflict between commit

f12e4f66ab6a ("thermal/cpu-cooling: Update thermal pressure in case
of a maximum frequency capping")

that came in through the scheduler updates from Ingo Molnar, and commit

ff44f672d741 ("thermal/drivers/cpufreq_cooling: Fix return of
cpufreq_set_cur_state")

from the thermal tree.

The conflict wasn't complicated, but the reason I mention it is that I
resolved it in a way that neither of those commits had done.

In particular, the thermal tree did

ret = freq_qos_update_request(..)
return ret < 0 ? ret : 0;

where that whole "return negative or zero" logic is new (it used to
return positive values, the fix was to return zero instead).

The scheduler tree did

ret = freq_qos_update_request(..)
if (ret > 0) {.. do thermal pressure thing ..}
return ret;

which obviously still returns that positive value.

My resolution to the conflict was to not take that return with a
conditional operation, but instead just add a

ret = 0;

to inside that thermal pressure if-statement, and avoid returning a
non-zero positive value that way.

I just wanted both sides to be aware of my non-traditional merge
resolution, and take a look.

Linus