Re: KASAN: use-after-free Read in usbhid_close (3)

From: Dmitry Torokhov
Date: Sun Apr 19 2020 - 00:10:01 EST

Hi Alan,

On Sat, Apr 18, 2020 at 10:16:32PM -0400, Alan Stern wrote:
> linux-input people:
>
> syzbot has found a bug related to USB/HID/input, and I have narrowed it
> down to the wacom driver. As far as I can tell, the problem is caused
> the fact that drivers/hid/wacom_sys.c calls input_register_device()
> in several places, but it never calls input_unregister_device().
>
> I know very little about the input subsystem, but this certainly seems
> like a bug.

Wacom driver uses devm_input_allocate_device(), so unregister should
happen automatically on device removal once we exit wacom_probe().

> When the device is unplugged, the disconnect pathway doesn't call
> hid_hw_close(). That routine doesn't get called until the user closes
> the device file (which can be long after the device is gone and
> hid_hw_stop() has run). Then usbhid_close() gets a use-after-free
> error when it tries to access data structures that were deallocated by
> usbhid_stop(). No doubt there are other problems too, but this is
> the one that syzbot found.

Unregistering the input device should result in calling wacom_close()
(if device was previously opened), which, as far as I can tell, calls
hid_hw_close().

I wonder if it is valid to call hid_hw_stop() before hid_hw_close()?

It could be that we again get confused by the "easiness" of devm APIs
and completely screwing up unwind order.

Thanks.

--
Dmitry