Re: [GIT PULL] Please pull proc and exec work for 5.7-rc1

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Tue Apr 28 2020 - 16:36:05 EST

On Tue, Apr 28, 2020 at 12:08 PM Oleg Nesterov <oleg@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Oops. I can update that old patch but somehow I thought there is a better
> plan which I don't yet understand...

I don't think any plan survived reality.

Unless we want to do something *really* hacky.. The attached patch is
not meant to be serious.

> And, IIRC, Jan had some ideas how to rework the new creds calculation in
> execve paths to avoid the cred_guard_mutex deadlock?

I'm not sure how you'd do that.

Execve() fundamentally needs to serialize with PTRACE_ATTACH somehow,
since the whole point is that "tsk->ptrace" changes how the
credentials are interpreted.

So PTRACE_ATTACH doesn't really _change_ the credentials, but it very
much changes what execve() will do with them.

But I guess we could do a "if somebody attached to us while we did the
execve(), just repeat the whole thing"

Jann, what was your clever idea? Maybe it got lost in the long thread..

Linus