Re: AVIC related warning in enable_irq_window

From: Maxim Levitsky
Date: Tue May 05 2020 - 07:40:54 EST

On Tue, 2020-05-05 at 14:55 +0700, Suravee Suthikulpanit wrote:
> Paolo / Maxim,
>
> On 5/4/20 5:49 PM, Paolo Bonzini wrote:

> Based on my experiment, it seems that the hardware sets the V_IRQ_MASK bit
> when #VMEXIT despite this bit being ignored when AVIC is enabled.
> (I'll double check w/ HW team on this.) In this case, I don't think we can
> use the WARN_ON() as suggested above.
>
> I think we should keep the warning in the svm_set_vintr() since we want to know
> if the V_IRQ, V_INTR_PRIO, V_IGN_TPR, and V_INTR_VECTOR are ignored when calling
> svm_set_vintr().
>
> Instead, I would consider explicitly call kvm_vcpu_update_apicv() since it would
> be benefit from not having to wait for the next vcpu_enter_guest for this vcpu to process
> the request. This is less confusing to me. In this case, we would need to
> kvm_clear_request(KVM_REQ_APICV_UPDATE) for this vcpu as well.
>
> On the other hand, would be it useful to implement kvm_make_all_cpus_request_but_self(),
> which sends request to all other corpus excluding itself?
>
> > By the way, there is another possible cleanup: the clearing
> > of V_IRQ_MASK can be removed from interrupt_window_interception since it
> > has already called svm_clear_vintr.
>
> Maxim, I can help with the clean up patches if you would prefer.

I currently am waiting for the decision on how to we are going to fix this.
I don't have a strong opinion on how to fix this, but at least I think that we know
what is going on.

Initially I was thinking that something was broken in AVIC, especially when I noticed
that guest would hang when I did LatencyMon benchmark in it.
Luckily the other fix that I tested and reviewed seems to fix those hangs.

In a few days I plan to do some nvme passthrough stress testing as I used to do when I was
developing my nvme-mdev driver with AVIC. I am very curios on how this will turn out.

Best regards,
Maxim Levitsky