Re: linux-next: manual merge of the jc_docs tree with the vfs and net-next trees

From: Jonathan Corbet
Date: Mon May 18 2020 - 08:22:57 EST

On Mon, 18 May 2020 12:30:13 +1000
Stephen Rothwell <sfr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Today's linux-next merge of the jc_docs tree got a conflict in:
>
> kernel/sysctl.c
>
> between commit:
>
> f461d2dcd511 ("sysctl: avoid forward declarations")
>
> from the vfs tree and commit:
>
> 2f4c33063ad7 ("docs: sysctl/kernel: document ngroups_max")
>
> from the jc_docs tree.

Hmm...that's somewhat messy. I somehow managed to miss the change to
kernel/sysctl.c that doesn't have much to do with documentation. Stephen
(Kitt): I've reverted that change for now. Could I ask you to resubmit it
as two different patches? I'll happily take the actual docs change; the
sysctl change can be sent to the VFS tree on top of the changes there.

In general we really don't want to mix unrelated changes like this.

Thanks,

jon