Re: [RFC] METADATA design using V4l2 Request API

From: Nicolas Dufresne
Date: Thu May 28 2020 - 22:08:51 EST

Le jeudi 28 mai 2020 Ã 13:24 +0200, Hans Verkuil a Ãcrit :
> On 28/05/2020 12:48, dikshita@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > Hi Hans,
> >
> > Thanks for the review.
> >
> > On 2020-05-26 16:27, Hans Verkuil wrote:
> > > Hi Dikshita,
> > >
> > > My apologies for the delay, this was (mostly) due to various vacation
> > > days.

> > > This is fine and should work well. It's what the Request API is for,
> > > so no problems here.

> > > Why do you need the Request API for the capture side in a
> > > memory-to-memory driver? It is not
> > > clear from this patch series what the use-case is. There are reasons
> > > why this is currently
> > > not allowed. So I need to know more about this.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > Hans
> > >
> > we need this for use cases like HDR10+ where metadata info is part of
> > the bitstream.
> > To handle such frame specific data, support for request api on capture
> > plane would be needed.
>
> That's for the decoder, right? So the decoder extracts the HDR10+ metadata
> and fills in a control with the metadata?
>
> If that's the case, then it matches a similar request I got from mediatek.
> What is needed is support for 'read-only' requests: i.e. the driver can
> associate controls with a capture buffer and return that to userspace. But
> it is not possible to *set* controls in userspace when queuing the request.
>
> If you think about it you'll see that setting controls in userspace for
> a capture queue request makes no sense, but having the driver add set
> read-only controls when the request is finished is fine and makes sense.

Hi Hans,

I'm not sure I follow you on what will this look like in userspace. Can you post
an RFC of your idea, describing the userspace flow ? Particularly, I'm not sure
how the request helps in synchronizing the read of the metadata controls (over
simply reading the control after a DQBUF, which we can match to a specific input
using the provided timestamp). I also fail to understand how this aligns with
Stanimir concern with the performance of the get control interface.