[ANNOUNCE] git-filter-repo v2.27.0 (Was: Re: [ANNOUNCE] Git v2.27.0)

From: Elijah Newren
Date: Mon Jun 01 2020 - 13:08:20 EST

Hi,

On Mon, Jun 1, 2020 at 9:37 AM Junio C Hamano <gitster@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The latest feature release Git v2.27.0 is now available at the
> usual places. It is comprised of 537 non-merge commits since
> v2.26.0, contributed by 71 people, 19 of which are new faces.

The latest release of git-filter-repo, v2.27.0, is also now available.
It is comprised of 26 non-merge commits since v2.26.0, including two
changes from new contributors.

If you have been holding off on trying filter-repo because you didn't
want to figure out how to convert your filter-branch or BFG commands,
there are now cheat sheets for converting any example from the manual of
either of those tools into equivalent filter-repo commands; see the last
two links here:

https://github.com/newren/git-filter-repo#how-do-i-use-it

The public repo of filter-repo is at

https://github.com/newren/git-filter-repo

The tarballs can be found at:

https://github.com/newren/git-filter-repo/releases

git-filter-repo can also be installed via a variety of package managers
across Windows, Mac OS, or Linux (and maybe others)[1].

New contributors whose contributions weren't in v2.26.0 are as follows.
Welcome to the git-filter-repo development community!

* Kate F
* Marius Renner

[1] https://github.com/newren/git-filter-repo/blob/master/INSTALL.md

git-filter-repo 2.27 Release Notes
==================================

(Note: Additional information is available for many release notes at
https://github.com/newren/git-filter-repo/issues/<NUMBER>)

* Fixes:
* fix ugly bug with mixing path filtering and renaming (#96)
* suggest --no-local when cloning local repos (discourage use of --force)
* fix possible deadlock in sanity_check_args (#86)
* fix --prune-degenerate=never with path filtering (#92)
* throw an error if user specifies any path starting with a slash (#73)
* ensure we write final newline after final progress update (#84)
* repack with --source or --target (#66)
* make --version more robust against modified shebangs
* make git version requirement error message more direct (#94)
* allow removing .git directories from history

* Documentation:
* fix typo in example (#69)
* add more detailed explanation of safety checks and --force
* add guides & cheat sheets for people converting from filter-branch or BFG
* add examples for --subdirectory-filter and --to-subdirectory-filter
* add missing documentation for --no-ff option (#92)
* add more --paths-from-file examples with large filtering lists
* clarify usage of --use-base-name
* streamline install instructions a bit
* and various other miscellaneous improvements and fixes

* contrib scripts:
* fix special character handling in filter-lamely (#71)

* Miscellaneous:
* add sanity checks around release script

Changes since v2.26.0 are as follows:

Elijah Newren (24):
Makefile: a few sanity checks for releasing
filter-repo: fix bitrotted documentation links
filter-repo: suggest --no-local when cloning local repos
filter-repo: ensure we write final newline after final progress update
filter-repo: make --version more robust against modified shebangs
filter-repo: clarify usage of --use-base-name
git-filter-repo.txt: add examples for --[to-]subdirectory-filter
filter-repo: throw an error if user specifies any path starting
with a slash
git-filter-repo.txt: add documentation of --no-ff option
filter-repo: allow removing .git directories from history
Documentation: add guides for people converting from filter-branch or BFG
git-filter-repo.txt: add more --paths-from-file examples with
large filtering lists
INSTALL: streamline a bit and guide folks to package managers
filter-repo: fix --no-local error when there is no remote
Documentation: add more detailed explanation of safety checks and --force
filter-repo: make git version requirement error message more direct
filter-repo: fix possible deadlock in sanity_check_args
filter-repo: fix ugly bug with mixing path filtering and renaming
filter-repo: fix --prune-degenerate=never with path filtering
git-filter-repo.txt: fix extraneous space
filter-repo: repack with --source or --target
filter-repo (README): link cheat sheets from usage section too
filter-repo (README): separate sections for different tools
git-filter-repo.txt: connect --no-local and fresh clones more thoroughly

Kate F (1):
git-filter-repo.txt: Fix typo for example

Marius Renner (1):
contrib: fix special character handling in filter-lamely