Re: [GIT PULL] sh: remove sh5 support

From: Geert Uytterhoeven
Date: Fri Jun 05 2020 - 14:23:23 EST

Hi Adrian,

On Fri, Jun 5, 2020 at 7:58 PM John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
<glaubitz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 6/5/20 5:59 PM, Rich Felker wrote:
> >> Ah, sorry, I missed that. You're right, it should probably go through
> >> someone else's tree then.
> >
> > Do you know if it's needed to un-break sh4? If so we should push to
> > get whoever has jurisdiction over it to include it; otherwise I'm
> > indifferent.

I think the above is about the asm-generic/vmlinux.lds.h patch?
https://marc.info/?l=linux-sh&m=158429470221261&w=2

That one falls under Arnd's jurisdiction.
And AFAIUC, it matters for recent binutils only? So Arnd should know.

> No, the patch is only necessary when enabling Infiniband support with
> CONFIG_INFINIBAND_USER_ACCESS enabled.
>
> However, according to Geert, every architecture is supposed to have
> 64-bit get_user() these days, therefore my patch is required anyways,
> but it's not an acute problem.

This is about a different patch. Still a build failure, but who cares about
Infiniband? (I still care more about SH ;-)

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

Geert

-- Linus Torvalds