Re: Coccinelle: Extending capabilities for source file pre-selection

From: Markus Elfring
Date: Sun Jun 07 2020 - 10:02:48 EST

>> Coccinelle is not able to optimize its search process
>
> The software contains some limitations which might be changeable.
>

>> according to the information in constraints.
>
> Will related solution ideas become more interesting?

I propose to move parts of the mentioned concerns out of the way.

The software performs a source file pre-selection.
https://github.com/coccinelle/coccinelle/blob/7cf2c23e64066d5249a64a316cc5347831f7a63f/docs/manual/spatch_options.tex#L183

File indexes can become involved according to search tools like
âGLIMPSEâ and âGNU idutilsâ.
They can restrict the support for desired queries on file contents.

I got the impression that SmPL constraint variants can be specified in ways
which would fit also to such data format restrictions.

Higher level SmPL constraints can be more challenging to map to advanced queries.

How are the chances to improve the software situation here?

Regards,
Markus