Re: RFC - kernel selftest result documentation (KTAP)

From: Kees Cook
Date: Tue Jun 16 2020 - 19:58:51 EST

On Tue, Jun 16, 2020 at 12:44:28PM -0700, Brendan Higgins wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 16, 2020 at 9:42 AM Bird, Tim <Tim.Bird@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > From: Paolo Bonzini <pbonzini@xxxxxxxxxx>

> > > As an aside, where is TAP14?
> > By TAP14, I was referring to the current, undocumented, KUnit
> > conventions.
>
> Not so. TAP14 is the proposed next version of TAP13:
>
> https://github.com/TestAnything/testanything.github.io/pull/36
> https://github.com/isaacs/testanything.github.io/blob/tap14/tap-version-14-specification.md

I was reading this (I haven't compared to the blob above):

https://github.com/TestAnything/Specification/blob/tap-14-specification/specification.md

> Based on the discussion, it seems like most of the things we wanted
> from TAP14 would probably make it in if TAP ever accepts another pull
> request.

Were our leading diagnostic lines part of their latest spec? I thought
we were pretty far off in left field for that particular bit.

> > My personal preference is to have the dash. I think it's more human readable.
> > I note that the TAP spec has examples of result lines both with and without
> > the dash, so even the spec is ambiguous on this. I think not mandating it
> > either way is probably best. For regex parsers, it's easy to ignore with '[-]?'
> > outside the pattern groups that grab the number and description.
>
> I don't think we care, because we don't use it.

Yeah, I'm in the same place. I don't care -- I would just like a
determination. (The "implied" nature of it in TAP14 bothers me.)

> > > XFAIL/XPASS are different from SKIP. I personally don't have a need for
> > > them, but kselftests includes XFAIL/XPASS exit codes and they aren't
> > > reflected into selftests/kselftest/runner.sh.
> > >
> > > Likewise, kselftest.h has ksft_inc_xfail_cnt but not
> > > ksft_test_result_xfail/ksft_test_result_xpass.

I proposed fixing that recently[1]. seccomp uses XFAIL for "I have
detected you lack the config to test this, so I can't say it's working
or not, because it only looks like a failure without the config."

[1] https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/20200611224028.3275174-7-keescook@xxxxxxxxxxxx/

--
Kees Cook