Re: [LTP] [x86/entry] 2bbc68f837: ltp.ptrace08.fail

From: Cyril Hrubis
Date: Wed Jun 17 2020 - 09:17:30 EST

Hi!

> > > Is the head of linux.git exposing the same problem or is this an
> > > intermittent failure, which only affects bisectability?
> >
> > It sure looks deterministic:
> >
> > ptrace08.c:62: BROK: Cannot find address of kernel symbol "do_debug"
>
> ROFL

It's nice to have a good laugh, however I would really appreciate if any
of you would help me to fix the test.

The test in question is a regression test for:

commit f67b15037a7a50c57f72e69a6d59941ad90a0f0f
Author: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon Mar 26 15:39:07 2018 -1000

perf/hwbp: Simplify the perf-hwbp code, fix documentation

Annoyingly, modify_user_hw_breakpoint() unnecessarily complicates the
modification of a breakpoint - simplify it and remove the pointless
local variables.

And as far as I can tell it uses ptrace() with PTRACE_POKEUSER in order to
trigger it. But I'm kind of lost on how exactly we trigger the kernel
crash.

What is does is to write:

(void*)1 to u_debugreg[0]
(void*)1 to u_debugreg[7]
do_debug addr to u_debugreg[0]

Looking at the kernel code the write to register 7 enables the breakpoints and
what we attempt here is to change an invalid address to a valid one after we
enabled the breakpoint but that's as far I can go.

So does anyone has an idea how to trigger the bug without the do_debug function
address? Would any valid kernel function address suffice?

--
Cyril Hrubis
chrubis@xxxxxxx