Re: linux-next: build failure after merge of the printk tree

From: Petr Mladek
Date: Wed Jun 24 2020 - 04:19:33 EST

On Wed 2020-06-24 10:20:58, Herbert Xu wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 23, 2020 at 04:28:58PM +0200, Petr Mladek wrote:
> >
> > It is similar cycle:
> >
> > spinlock_types.h -> lockdep.h -> printk.h -> ratelimit.h -> spinlock_types.h
> >
> > But this time it happens via list.h -> kernel.h ->printk.h.
> > Where list.h needs READ_ONCE() stuff from compiler.h.
>
> But this is exactly the loop that's fixed by the lockdep_types
> patch.

I think that this problem is similar to the one on s390 that was
solved by compiler.h in arch/s390/include/asm/bug.h

It is related to
https://lore.kernel.org/r/20200613142901.65xieioomt6bbqa6@xxxxxxxxxx

It seems that we need the same change also in list.h.

> Did you get a compile failure with *just* the lockdep
> patch?

No, I see the problem only with both patches.

> > PS: And yes, it makes sense to push both patches via a single tree to
> > make sure that the lockdep.h split is done first.
>
> OK, can I repost this patch with your ack then?

Do you mean to repost the 2nd patch with the change in
include/linux/list.h?

This would be great.

Best Regards,
Petr