Re: [RFC 0/7] media: Clean and make H264 stateless uAPI public

From: Nicolas Dufresne
Date: Thu Jun 25 2020 - 10:42:56 EST

Le mardi 23 juin 2020 Ã 15:28 -0300, Ezequiel Garcia a Ãcrit :
> The recent patch posted by Jernej (which I'm including for context),
> encouraged me to address all the known issues in the uAPI.
>
> I hope we can finally make this uAPI interface
> public; it would be nice to address the other codec
> interfaces so we can move the codec drivers out of staging.
>
> It should be noted that there is already GStreamer native
> support for this interface, which will be part of 1.18,
> once it's released [1], as well as support in Chromium [2].

Keep in mind, no one did a MultiView and/or SVC implementation in
userspace yet. Multiview seems to share a lot of interlacing, which
ffmpeg implementation covers, but some validation would be nice.

As for SVC, I only started looking at that this means for decoding. It
looks like buffer "holding" mechanism is mostly what we need, I'd would
simply like to verify, as I was told that scaling down might be
required when SVC stream is missing (but perhaps this is optional ?)

> The basic idea here is to sanitize the interface,
> making sure the structs are aligned to 64-bit,
> adding reserved fields for padding where suitable.
>
> These reserved fields can then be used to support future extensions,
> in case such need appears.
>
> In addition to this, moving the slice invariant fields
> to the per-frame control, makes the frame-mode driver
> implementation much nicer and the interface; see patch 6/7 for details.
>
> I'm not adding a MAINTAINERS entry, but I'd like to do so,
> so we make sure any uAPI changes are sent to those involved.
>
> Another potential change is the addition of a "Since:" tag to the
> control specification, so we can document which kernel version
> added the interface. This might prove useful if reserved
> fields are then used to extend the interface.
>
> Finally, I'm sneaking here a change from Philipp Zabel
> which apparently fell thru the cracks.

Thanks a lot of working on this.