Re: [patch 10/32] linux/bits.h: fix unsigned less than zero warnings

From: Kees Cook
Date: Fri Jun 26 2020 - 11:21:05 EST

On Fri, Jun 26, 2020 at 04:43:36PM +0200, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 26, 2020 at 4:09 PM Andy Shevchenko
> <andy.shevchenko@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, Jun 26, 2020 at 5:03 PM Arnd Bergmann <arnd@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > It would work for me if it had been
> > a) documented (I didn't check if it had been already done, though);
> > b) understood by all CIs in the same way (see a) as well :-).
>
> I checked the 'make help' output, which describes them as
>
> make W=n [targets] Enable extra build checks, n=1,2,3 where
> 1: warnings which may be relevant and do not occur too often
> 2: warnings which occur quite often but may still be relevant
> 3: more obscure warnings, can most likely be ignored
> Multiple levels can be combined with W=12 or W=123
>
> which is less specific than the interpretation I had in mind but
> I think still fits a).

How about tweaking this as:

make W=n [targets] Enable extra build checks, n=1,2,3 where
1: warnings which may be relevant and do not occur too often
and can normally be fixed in code. (Reasonable for CIs to
use without generating too much spam.)
2: warnings which occur quite often but may still be relevant
to developers looking for ways to improve compilers or
looking for very special cases. (Not usually a good idea
for automated systems.)
3: more obscure warnings, can most likely be ignored but have
value to some very narrow areas of code/compiler analysis.
Very noisy!

--
Kees Cook