Re: Linux kernel in-tree Rust support

From: Kees Cook
Date: Fri Jul 10 2020 - 12:10:11 EST

On Fri, Jul 10, 2020 at 02:50:22PM +0200, Christian Brauner wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 10, 2020 at 08:28:03AM +0200, Greg KH wrote:
> > On Thu, Jul 09, 2020 at 11:41:47AM -0700, Nick Desaulniers wrote:
> > > Hello folks,
> > > I'm working on putting together an LLVM "Micro Conference" for the
> > > upcoming Linux Plumbers Conf
> > > (https://www.linuxplumbersconf.org/event/7/page/47-attend). It's not
> > > solidified yet, but I would really like to run a session on support
> > > for Rust "in tree." I suspect we could cover technical aspects of
> > > what that might look like (I have a prototype of that, was trivial to
> > > wire up KBuild support), but also a larger question of "should we do
> > > this?" or "how might we place limits on where this can be used?"
> > >
> > > Question to folks explicitly in To:, are you planning on attending plumbers?
> > >
> > > If so, would this be an interesting topic that you'd participate in?
> >
> > Yes, I'll be there.
>
> We actually had this dicussion a while back and there were some more
> people interested in this. I'd be interested to attend this and I've
> spoken with Kees and a few others about this topic at last Plumbers (I
> think Greg might have been around for this informal discussion as well.
> But I might be imagining things.).

I'm quite interested in this topic still, yes. :) (And will be attending
Plumbers.)

We had interesting discussions with the LSS 2019 "Rust in the kernel"[1]
speakers, and I know Nick has reviewed their work[2] too. Perhaps we should
reach out to them as well?

-Kees

[1] https://ldpreload.com/p/kernel-modules-in-rust-lssna2019.pdf
[2] https://github.com/fishinabarrel/linux-kernel-module-rust