Re: Linux kernel in-tree Rust support

From: Adrian Bunk
Date: Sun Jul 12 2020 - 09:01:05 EST

On Thu, Jul 09, 2020 at 11:41:47AM -0700, Nick Desaulniers wrote:
> but also a larger question of "should we do
> this?" or "how might we place limits on where this can be used?"

I won't attend, but I do have a topic that should be covered:

Firefox always depends on recent Rust, which forces distributions to
update Rust in stable releases.

As an example:
Ubuntu LTS releases upgrade to a new Rust version every 1-2 months.
Ubuntu 16.04 started with Rust 1.7.0 and is now at Rust 1.41.0.

It would not sound good to me if security updates of distribution
kernels might additionally end up using a different version of the
Rust compiler - the toolchain for the kernel should be stable.

Would Rust usage in the kernel require distributions to ship
a "Rust for Firefox" and a "Rust for the kernel"?

> Thanks,
> ~Nick Desaulniers

cu
Adrian