[PATCH v16 0/9] nvmet: add target passthru commands support
From: Logan Gunthorpe
Date: Fri Jul 24 2020 - 13:25:43 EST
This is v16 of the passthru patchset which make a bunch of cleanup as
suggested by Christoph.
I attempted to change the connect_q to a passthru_q (one of the
suggestions) but doing so did not allow for the removal of the need
for the namespace structure. The ns structure is needed to obtain
command effects (and call nvme_passthru_start()), it's also needed to
obtain the disk for proper block accounting statistics.
A git branch is available here and is based on nvme-5.9 on Jul 23th:
v16 Changes (all based on feedback from Christoph):
1. Rebased onto latest nvme-5.9, no merge necessary
2. Restored the nvme_known_admin_effects() helper
3. Reworked when the passthru_start/end functions are moved
4. Moved the patch that adds the kconfig to be last
5. Use EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL_NS() with the new NVME_TARGET_PASSTHRU
namespace, instead of the #ifdef around the exports.
6. Removed the end_rq callback and just hardcoded the two uses.
7. Added Eideticom copyright to the passthru.c file
8. Use bio_add_pc_page() instead of bio_add_page()
9. Couple other minor nits
1. Rebased onto nvme-5.9, required minor merge.
2. Ensure NVME_CORE is not a module if NVME_TARGET is builtin when
selecting NVME_TARGET_PASSTHRU (per kernel test robot)
1. Rebased onto nvme-5.9 (per Chaitanya's suggestion), required minor
2. Dropped the #ifdef around the prototypes in nvme.h because kbuild
started complaining about non-staic functions that don't have
3. Removed an unecessary if/else in nvmet_passthru_execute_cmd()
as spotted by Chaitanya.
4. Removed unecessary casts in a pr_warn(), per Chaitanya
1. Rebased onto v5.7-rc5
2. Collected Sagi's Reviewed-by tags
1. Rebased onto v5.7-rc1
2. Collected Sagi's Reviewed-by tags
3. Per Sagi's feedback implement an whitelist for set/get features and
audit the features for whether they are suitable to be passed-through
1. Rebased onto v5.6-rc2
2. Collected Max's Reviewed-By tag
1. Rebased onto v5.5-rc1
2. Disable all exports in core nvme if CONFIG_NVME_TARGET_PASSTHRU is
not set and put them near the end of the file with a big fat
comment (per Christoph)
3. Don't fake up the vs field: pass it through as is and bump
it to 1.2.1 if it is below that (per Christoph)
4. Rework how passthru requests are submitted into the core
with proper nvme_passthru_start/end handling (per Christoph)
5. Rework how commands are parsed with passthru hooks in
parse_admin_cmd() and nvmet_parse_io_cmd() (per Christoph)
6. Rework commands are handled so they are only done in a work
item if absolutely necessary (per Christoph)
7. The data_len hack was dropped as a patchset was introduced to
remove data_len altogether (per Christoph)
8. The passthru accounting changes are now in v5.5-rc1
9. A large number of other minor cleanups that were pointed out by
1. Rebased onto v5.4-rc2 (required adjusting nvme_identify_ns() usage)
2. Collected Sagi's Reviewed-By Tags
3. Squashed seperate Kconfig patch into passthru patch (Per Sagi)
4. Set REQ_FUA for flush requests and remove special casing
on RQF_IO_STAT (Per Sagi)
1. Rebased onto v5.3-rc6
2. Collected Max's Reviewed-By tags
3. Converted admin command black-list to a white-list, but
allow all vendor specific commands. With this, we feel
it's safe to allow multiple connections from hosts.
(As per Sagi's feedback)
1. Rebased onto v5.3-rc2
2. Rework nvme_ctrl_get_by_path() to use filp_open() instead of
the cdev changes that were in v6. (Per Al)
3. Override the cmic bit to allow multipath and allow
multiple connections from the same hostnqn. (At the same
time I cleaned up the method of rejecting multiple connections.)
See Patch 8)
4. Found a bug when used with the tcp transport (See Patch 10)
1. Rebased onto v5.3-rc1
2. Rework configfs interface to simply be a passthru directory
within the existing subsystem. The directory is similar to
and consistent with a namespace directory.
3. Have the configfs take a path instead of a bare controller name
4. Renamed the main passthru file to io-cmd-passthru.c for consistency
with the file and block-dev methods.
5. Cleaned up all the CONFIG_NVME_TARGET_PASSTHRU usage to remove
all the inline #ifdefs
6. Restructured nvmet_passthru_make_request() a bit for clearer code
7. Moved nvme_find_get_ns() call into nvmet_passthru_execute_cmd()
seeing calling it in nvmet_req_init() causes a lockdep warning
due to nvme_find_get_ns() being able to sleep.
8. Added a check in nvmet_passthru_execute_cmd() to ensure we don't
violate queue_max_segments or queue_max_hw_sectors and overrode
mdts to ensure hosts don't intentionally submit commands
that will exceed these limits.
9. Reworked the code which ensures there's only one subsystem per
passthru controller to use an xarray instead of a list as this is
simpler and more easily fixed some bugs triggered by disabling
subsystems that weren't enabled.
10. Removed the overide of the target cntlid with the passthru cntlid;
this seemed like a really bad idea especially in the presence of
mixed systems as you could end up with two ctrlrs with the same
cntlid. For now, commands that depend on cntlid are black listed.
11. Implement block accounting for passthru so the target can track
usage using /proc/diskstats
12. A number of other minor bug fixes and cleanups
v5 Changes (not sent to list, from Chaitanya):
1. Added workqueue for admin commands.
2. Added kconfig option for the pass-thru feature.
3. Restructure the parsing code according to your suggestion,
call nvmet_xxx_parse_cmd() from nvmet_passthru_parse_cmd().
4. Use pass-thru instead of pt.
5. Several cleanups and add comments at the appropriate locations.
6. Minimize the code for checking pass-thru ns across all the subsystems.
7. Removed the delays in the ns related admin commands since I was
not able to reproduce the previous bug.
1. Add request polling interface to the block layer.
2. Use request polling interface in the NVMEoF target passthru code
3. Add checks suggested by Sagi for creating one target ctrl per
4. Don't enable the namespace if it belongs to the configured passthru
5. Adjust the code latest kernel.
1. Split the addition of passthru command handlers and integration
into two different patches since we add guards to create one target
controller per passthru controller. This way it will be easier to
review the code.
2. Adjust the code for 4.18.
1. Update the new nvme core controller find API naming and
changed the string comparison of the ctrl.
2. Get rid of the newly added #defines for target ctrl values.
3. Use the newly added structure members in the same patch where
they are used. Aggregate the passthru command handling support
and integration with nvmet-core into one patch.
4. Introduce global NVMe Target subsystem list for connected and
not connected subsystems on the target side.
5. Add check when configuring the target ns and target
passthru ctrl to allow only one target controller to be created
for one passthru subsystem.
6. Use the passthru ctrl cntlid when creating the
Chaitanya Kulkarni (1):
nvmet-passthru: Introduce NVMet passthru Kconfig option
Logan Gunthorpe (8):
nvme-core: Clear any SGL flags in passthru commands
nvme: Create helper function to obtain command effects
nvme: Introduce nvme_execute_passthru_rq to call
nvme-core: Introduce nvme_ctrl_get_by_path()
nvme: Export nvme_find_get_ns() and nvme_put_ns()
nvmet-passthru: Add passthru code to process commands
nvmet-passthru: Add enable/disable helpers
nvmet-configfs: Introduce passthru configfs interface
drivers/nvme/host/core.c | 253 +++++++++------
drivers/nvme/host/nvme.h | 7 +
drivers/nvme/target/Kconfig | 12 +
drivers/nvme/target/Makefile | 1 +
drivers/nvme/target/admin-cmd.c | 7 +-
drivers/nvme/target/configfs.c | 103 ++++++
drivers/nvme/target/core.c | 13 +-
drivers/nvme/target/nvmet.h | 52 +++
drivers/nvme/target/passthru.c | 545 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
include/linux/nvme.h | 4 +
10 files changed, 892 insertions(+), 105 deletions(-)
create mode 100644 drivers/nvme/target/passthru.c