Re: add file system helpers that take kernel pointers for the init code v3

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Sun Jul 26 2020 - 11:50:12 EST

On Sun, Jul 26, 2020 at 12:14 AM Christoph Hellwig <hch@xxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Al and Linus,
>
> currently a lot of the file system calls in the early in code (and the
> devtmpfs kthread) rely on the implicit set_fs(KERNEL_DS) during boot.
> This is one of the few last remaining places we need to deal with to kill
> off set_fs entirely, so this series adds new helpers that take kernel
> pointers. These helpers are in init/ and marked __init and thus will
> be discarded after bootup. A few also need to be duplicated in devtmpfs,
> though unfortunately.

I see nothing objectionable here.

The only bikeshed comment I have is that I think the "for_init.c" name
is ugly and pointless - I think you could just call it "fs/init.c" and
it's both simpler and more straightforward. It _is_ init code, it's
not "for" init.

Other than that it all looked straightforward to me.

Linus