[PATCH v5 0/4] Allow bigger 64bit window by removing default DMA window
From: Leonardo Bras
Date: Tue Aug 04 2020 - 23:05:08 EST
There are some devices in which a hypervisor may only allow 1 DMA window
to exist at a time, and in those cases, a DDW is never created to them,
since the default DMA window keeps using this resource.
LoPAR recommends this procedure:
1. Remove the default DMA window,
2. Query for which configs the DDW can be created,
3. Create a DDW.
Create defines for outputs of ibm,ddw-applicable, so it's easier to
- After LoPAR level 2.8, there is an extension that can make
ibm,query-pe-dma-windows to have 6 outputs instead of 5. This changes the
order of the outputs, and that can cause some trouble.
- query_ddw() was updated to check how many outputs the
ibm,query-pe-dma-windows is supposed to have, update the rtas_call() and
deal correctly with the outputs in both cases.
- This patch looks somehow unrelated to the series, but it can avoid future
problems on DDW creation.
Patch #3 moves the window-removing code from remove_ddw() to
remove_dma_window(), creating a way to delete any DMA window, so it can be
used to delete the default DMA window.
Patch #4 makes use of the remove_dma_window() from patch #3 to remove the
default DMA window before query_ddw(). It also implements a new rtas call
to recover the default DMA window, in case anything fails after it was
removed, and a DDW couldn't be created.
Changes since v4:
- Removed patches 5+ in order to deal with a feature at a time
- Remove unnecessary parentesis in patch #4
- Changed patch #4 title from
"Remove default DMA window before creating DDW"
- Included David Dai tested-by
- v4 link: http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/linuxppc-dev/list/?series=190051&state=%2A&archive=both
Changes since v3:
- Introduces new patch #5, to prepare for an important change in #6
- struct iommu_table was not being updated, so include a way to do this
in patch #6.
- Improved patch #4 based in a suggestion from Alexey, to make code
more easily understandable
- v3 link: http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/linuxppc-dev/list/?series=187348&state=%2A&archive=both
Changes since v2:
- Change the way ibm,ddw-extensions is accessed, using a proper function
instead of doing this inline everytime it's used.
- Remove previous patch #6, as it doesn't look like it would be useful.
- Add new patch, for changing names from direct* to dma*, as indirect
mapping can be used from now on.
- Fix some typos, corrects some define usage.
- v2 link: http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/linuxppc-dev/list/?series=185433&state=%2A&archive=both
Changes since v1:
- Add defines for ibm,ddw-applicable and ibm,ddw-extensions outputs
- Merge aux function query_ddw_out_sz() into query_ddw()
- Merge reset_dma_window() patch (prev. #2) into remove default DMA
window patch (#4).
- Keep device_node *np name instead of using pdn in remove_*()
- Rename 'device_node *pdn' into 'parent' in new functions
- Rename dfl_win to default_win
- Only remove the default DMA window if there is no window available
in first query.
- Check if default DMA window can be restored before removing it.
- Fix 'unitialized use' (found by travis mpe:ci-test)
- New patches #5 and #6
- v1 link: http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/linuxppc-dev/list/?series=184420&state=%2A&archive=both
Special thanks for Alexey Kardashevskiy, Brian King and
Oliver O'Halloran for the feedback provided!
Leonardo Bras (4):
powerpc/pseries/iommu: Create defines for operations in
powerpc/pseries/iommu: Update call to ibm,query-pe-dma-windows
powerpc/pseries/iommu: Move window-removing part of remove_ddw into
powerpc/pseries/iommu: Allow bigger 64bit window by removing default
arch/powerpc/platforms/pseries/iommu.c | 242 ++++++++++++++++++++-----
1 file changed, 195 insertions(+), 47 deletions(-)