Re: PROBLEM: IO lockup on reiserfs FS.

From: Edward Shishkin
Date: Wed Aug 05 2020 - 20:37:29 EST

On 08/06/2020 02:01 AM, Hgntkwis@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
On Wed, 5 Aug 2020 12:51:41 -0700
Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, Aug 5, 2020 at 9:53 AM <Hgntkwis@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

It's been over 1 week since I sent this into the reiserfs-devel
mailing list. I'm escalating this as the kernel docs recommend.
I'm still willing to help debug and test a fix for this problem.

The thing is, you're using an ancient 4.14 kernel,

Sorry, I didn't realize kernel development went that fast.
I did try to go to the 5.X series, but the AMDGPU drivers don't work on
my SI card anymore (I need to bisect which takes time and many re-boots
to find the problematic commit).
I'll try the Radeon-SI driver and see if I can reproduce this reliably.

and a filesystem
that isn't really maintained any more. You'll find very few people
interested in trying to debug that combination.

You *might* have more luck with a more modern kernel, but even then
... reiserfs?

Linus

Why does no one (I've met others who share a similar sentiment), like
reiserfs? I'm not looking for fight, I'm incredulous. It's a great FS
that survives oops-es, power failures, and random crashes very very well.
It's the only FLOSS FS with tail packing.

Thanks,
David

Hi David,

The feature of "tail packing", that you need, is brought to perfection
in Reiser4 file system. Other file systems either don't provide tight
packing of records in the storage tree, or they are read-only. You just
need to manually patch (*) the kernel and install a pair of user-space
packages (**).

The latest stuff (against Linux-5.7) is stable. For older kernels you
will need a backport for some fixups (***). We can prepare it for you.

Reiser4 is fully supported. If any problems (including partition
check/repair) - send a message to reiserfs-devel mailing list.

(*) https://reiser4.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Reiser4_Howto
https://sourceforge.net/projects/reiser4/files/
(**) https://sourceforge.net/projects/reiser4/files/reiser4-utils/
(***) https://marc.info/?l=reiserfs-devel&m=158086248927420&w=2