Re: Minor RST rant

From: Vegard Nossum
Date: Thu Aug 06 2020 - 04:39:07 EST

On 2020-08-06 08:48, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
On Wed, Aug 05, 2020 at 05:12:30PM +0200, peterz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
On Wed, Aug 05, 2020 at 04:49:50PM +0200, Vegard Nossum wrote:
FWIW, I *really* like how the extra markup renders in a browser, and I
don't think I'm the only one.

The thing is, I write code in a text editor, not a browser. When a
header file says: read Documentation/foo I do 'gf' and that file gets
opened in a buffer.

Needing a browser is a fail.

And that is my main problem with all the RST craze. It optmizes for
shiny display in a browser, but copletely messed up the typical
developer flow.

If you are using vim, you can put this in ~/.vim/after/syntax/rst.vim:

syn region rstInlineLiteral matchgroup=Special start="``" end="``" concealends
syn region rstEmphasis matchgroup=Special start="\*\*" end="\*\*" concealends
setlocal conceallevel=2

This will hide the ``foo`` and **bar** markup on lines that are not
currently under the cursor.

Vegard