Re: [RFC 0/9] KVM:x86/mmu:Introduce parallel memory virtualization to boost performance

From: yulei zhang
Date: Fri Aug 07 2020 - 05:03:40 EST

On Fri, Aug 7, 2020 at 1:04 AM Ben Gardon <bgardon@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 5, 2020 at 9:53 AM Yulei Zhang <yulei.kernel@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > From: Yulei Zhang <yuleixzhang@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> >
> > Currently in KVM memory virtulization we relay on mmu_lock to synchronize
> > the memory mapping update, which make vCPUs work in serialize mode and
> > slow down the execution, especially after migration to do substantial
> > memory mapping setup, and performance get worse if increase vCPU numbers
> > and guest memories.
> >
> > The idea we present in this patch set is to mitigate the issue with
> > pre-constructed memory mapping table. We will fast pin the guest memory
> > to build up a global memory mapping table according to the guest memslots
> > changes and apply it to cr3, so that after guest starts up all the vCPUs
> > would be able to update the memory concurrently, thus the performance
> > improvement is expected.
>
> Is a re-implementation of the various MMU functions in this series
> necessary to pre-populate the EPT/NPT? I realize the approach you took
> is probably the fastest way to pre-populate an EPT, but it seems like
> similar pre-population could be achieved with some changes to the PF
> handler's prefault scheme or, from user space by adding a dummy vCPU
> to touch memory before loading the actual guest image.
>
> I think this series is taking a similar approach to the direct MMU RFC
> I sent out a little less than a year ago. (I will send another version
> of that series in the next month.) I'm not sure this level of
> complexity is worth it if you're only interested in EPT pre-population.
> Is pre-population your goal? You mention "parallel memory
> virtualization," does that refer to parallel page fault handling you
> intend to implement in a future series?
>
> There are a number of features I see you've chosen to leave behind in
> this series which might work for your use case, but I think they're
> necessary. These include handling vCPUs with different roles (SMM, VMX
> non root mode, etc.), MMU notifiers (which I realize matter less for
> pinned memory), demand paging through UFFD, fast EPT
> invalidation/teardown and others.

Thanks for the feedback. I think the target circumstance for this feature is
without memory overcommitment, thus it can fast pin the memory and
setup the GPA->HPA mapping table, and after that we don't expect PF
while vCPUs access the memory. We call it "parallel memory virtualization"
as with pre-populated EPT the vCPUs will be able to update the memory
in parallel mode.
Yes, so far we disable the SMM etc. We are looking forward to gathering
the inputs from your experts and refine the implementation.