Re: [LTP] [x86/entry] 2bbc68f837: ltp.ptrace08.fail

From: Cyril Hrubis
Date: Fri Aug 14 2020 - 10:58:03 EST

Hi!
> > do_debug is a bit of a red herring here. ptrace should not be able to
> > put a breakpoint on a kernel address, period. I would just pick a
> > fixed address that's in the kernel text range or even just in the
> > pre-KASLR text range and make sure it gets rejected. Maybe try a few
> > different addresses for good measure.
>
> I've looked at the code and it seems like this would be a bit more
> complicated since the breakpoint is set by an accident in a race and the
> call still fails. Which is why the test triggers the breakpoint and
> causes infinite loop in the kernel...
>
> I guess that we could instead read back the address with
> PTRACE_PEEKUSER, so something as:
>

> break_addr = ptrace(PTRACE_PEEKUSER, child_pid,
> (void *)offsetof(struct user, u_debugreg[0]),
> NULL);
>
> if (break_addr == kernel_addr)
> tst_res(TFAIL, "ptrace() set break on a kernel address");

So this works actually nicely, even better than the original code.

Any hints on how to select a fixed address in the kernel range as you
pointed out in one of the previous emails? I guess that this would end
up as a per-architecture mess of ifdefs if we wanted to hardcode it.

--
Cyril Hrubis
chrubis@xxxxxxx