Re: [REGRESSION] x86/cpu fsgsbase breaks TLS in 32 bit rr tracees on a 64 bit system

From: Kyle Huey
Date: Tue Aug 25 2020 - 14:50:40 EST

On Tue, Aug 25, 2020 at 10:31 AM Kyle Huey <me@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 25, 2020 at 9:46 AM Andy Lutomirski <luto@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Ok.

> > > I don't know what that means.
> >
> > This is untested, but what I mean is:
> >
> > static int ptrace32(int req, pid_t pid, int addr, int data) {
> > int ret;
> > /* new enough kernels won't clobber r8, etc. */
> > asm volatile ("int $0x80" : "=a" (ret) : "a" (26 /* ptrace */), "b"
> > (req), "c" (pid), "d" (addr), "S" (data) : "flags", "r8", "r9", "r10",
> > "r11");
> > return ret;
> > }
> >
> > with a handful of caveats:
> >
> > - This won't compile with -fPIC, I think. Instead you'll need to
> > write a little bit of asm to set up and restore ebx yourself. gcc is
> > silly like this.
> >
> > - Note that addr is an int. You'll need to mmap(..., MAP_32BIT, ...)
> > to get a buffer that can be pointed to with an int.
> >
> > The advantage is that this should work on all kernels that support
> > 32-bit mode at all.

> > > I think the easiest way forward for us would be a PTRACE_GET/SETREGSET
> > > like operation that operates on the regsets according to the
> > > *tracee*'s bitness (rather than the tracer, as it works currently).
> > > Does that sound workable?
> > >

> > Strictly speaking, on Linux, there is no unified concept of a task's
> > bitness, so "set all these registers according to the target's
> > bitness" is not well defined. We could easily give you a
> > PTRACE_SETREGS_X86_32, etc, though.
>
> In the process of responding to this I spent some time doing code
> inspection and discovered a subtlety in the ptrace API that I was
> previously unaware of. PTRACE_GET/SETREGS use the regset views
> corresponding to the tracer but PTRACE_GET/SETREGSET use the regset
> views corresponding to the tracee. This means it is possible for us
> today to set FS/GS "the old way" with a 64 bit tracer/32 bit tracee
> combo, as long as we use PTRACE_SETREGSET with NT_PRSTATUS instead of
> PTRACE_SETREGS.

Alright I reverted the previous changes and switched us to use
PTRACE_SETREGSET with NT_PRSTATUS[0] and our 32 bit tests pass again.
I assume this behavior will remain unchanged indefinitely even when
the fs/gsbase manipulation instructions are not available since the 32
bit user_regs_struct can't grow?

- Kyle

[0] https://github.com/mozilla/rr/commit/5c12d5f9ab77e526f852cbca82f454a42e3a6e30#diff-b509a7939392c11bb3c517b00da4526fL1447
(most of the rest of this commit is fixing our *emulation* of
PTRACE_GETREGSET/PTRACE_SETREGSET which was not respecting the
tracee's 32 vs 64 bit stauts).