Re: linux-next: Fixes tags need some work in the printk tree

From: Petr Mladek
Date: Wed Sep 02 2020 - 03:26:17 EST

Hi Stephen,

On Wed 2020-09-02 07:22:54, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> In commits
>
> e5e4c07d9233 ("docs: vmcoreinfo: add lockless printk ringbuffer vmcoreinfo")
> 0cfdacd74ad5 ("scripts/gdb: update for lockless printk ringbuffer")
>
> Fixes tag
>
> Fixes: ("printk: use the lockless ringbuffer")

The problem is that this commit is not in mainline. It is living
only in printk/linux.git.

> has these problem(s):
>
> - No SHA1 recognised

Could we use the SHA1 from the maintainer tree when it would not get rebased?

Or should we rather avoid Fixes: tag referencing commits that are not
in mainline?

I am sorry to bother you with this silly question. I do not see any
hint in Documentation/process/submitting-patches.rst.

Best Regards,
Petr