Re: Can we credibly make vdso_sgx_enter_enclave() pleasant to use?

From: Andy Lutomirski
Date: Sat Sep 26 2020 - 15:05:52 EST

On Fri, Sep 25, 2020 at 3:29 PM Sean Christopherson
<sean.j.christopherson@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 25, 2020 at 01:20:03PM -0700, Andy Lutomirski wrote:
> > On Fri, Sep 25, 2020 at 12:09 PM Sean Christopherson
> > <sean.j.christopherson@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > But where would the vDSO get memory for that little data structure? It can't
> > > be percpu because the current task can get preempted. It can't be per instance
> > > of the vDSO because a single mm/process can have multiple tasks entering an
> > > enclave. Per task might work, but how would the vDSO get that info? E.g.
> > > via a syscall, which seems like complete overkill?
> >
> > The stack.
>
> Duh.
>
> > The vDSO could, logically, do:
> >
> > struct sgx_entry_state {
> > unsigned long real_rbp;
> > unsigned long real_rsp;
> > unsigned long orig_fsbase;
> > };

> > struct sgx_entry_state state;
> > state.rbp = rbp; [ hey, this is pseudocode. the real code would be in asm.]
> > state.rsp = rsp;
> > state.fsbase = __rdfsbase();
> > rbp = arg->rbp;
> >
> > /* set up all other regs */
> > wrfsbase %rsp
> > movq enclave_rsp(%rsp), %rsp
>
> I think this is where there's a disconnect with what is being requested by the
> folks writing run times. IIUC, they want to use the untrusted runtime's stack
> to pass params because it doesn't require additional memory allocations and
> automagically grows as necessary (obviously to a certain limit). I.e. forcing
> the caller to provide an alternative "stack" defeats the purpose of using the
> untrusted stack.

I personally find this concept rather distasteful. Sure, it might
save a couple cycles, but it means that the enclave has hardcoded some
kind of assumption about the outside-the-enclave stack.

Given that RBP seems reasonably likely to be stable across enclave
executions, I suppose we could add a flag and an RSP value in the
sgx_enclave_run structure. If set, the vDSO would swap out RSP (but
not RBP) with the provided value on entry and record the new RSP on
exit. I don't know if this would be useful to people.

I do think we need to add at least minimal CFI annotations no matter what we do.